Tuesday, May 20, 2008

K-tabs to make you feel better



This is a small piece that I bought for Karen for Christmas a couple of years back. Its from Ellen Castrone, a UCD student whose work I was introduced to as a result of my being finagled (or hired) to jury the BFA Thesis exhibitions at the downtown Denver school that year. I really enjoyed the duties, and in particular the ability to get in touch with the artists that were part of the program (which is not always considered the strongest in denver but continually has produced exceptional artists and has a truly great teaching staff). I really enjoyed Castrone's work, which was a grid of small paintings all depicting various pills, most of which I had no idea what they were, painted in a dimensional way on top of old dress patterns. Definitely art-schoolish but fun and I where else could I find a piece that could so well represent Karen in an off-beat way? She likes it and it resides above our toilet in our current bathroom (not a bad place at all for artwork, by the way). I haven't heard from the artist since but think she may have moved onto greener or substantially more intense art-pastures.

No comments: